Hi folks !
Here’s a refreshing coffee cake, lightly sweetened and moist. It can be made dressier by adding on top a drizzle of chocolate orange ganache or a thin layer of old fashioned chocolate buttercream. To make this cake, all you need to do is dump all the ingredients into your mixer and beat for a few minutes till it all comes together and you are done ! This method of mixing ingredients is known in the baking world as the All-in-one method. ( You can check out more of my easy peasy recipes here).Be generous with the orange zest and also be sure to use a good brand of unsweetened cocoa powder. It makes all the difference.
Chocolate orange cake
100 g salted butter, softened
1 tbsp orange zest
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cups castor sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
1. Grease a deep 19 cm square cake pan. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Combine all ingredients in large bowl, beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined.
3. Increase speed to medium, beat for about 3 minutes or until mixture is changed in colour and smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan, bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. Stand 15 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.
Adapted from The Australian Women’s Weekly
COPYRIGHT©Ms. Di and her Oven. 2017